After the overturning of PASPA in 2018, sports betting became legal on a federal level. Now, each state is regulating their own market and Virginia looks like it will have legal sports betting in 2021.
Sports Betting Rules in VA
Currently, Virginia online sports betting is not regulated. That’s about to change with HB 896. All that’s left is for the bill to pass the Senate and back to the House to be signed into law.
Horse betting in Virginia, however, is regulated and you can do it today.
HB 896 is unlike most other states’ betting bills in that it does not allow bets on any collegiate sports. The NCAA draws a huge crowd in Virginia, so that’s revenue lost, but at least HB 896 is expected to pass into law without much of a delay.
When can players expect to be able to log on and start betting? Unfortunately, bureaucracy moves slowly, and the government will impose licensure requirements for any operator looking to provide online sports betting in Virginia. That is why sports betting in VA looks like it won’t be up until 2021.
Once betting on sports finally passes the Virginia legislature, the next step is to figure out how to get online and bet. Here’s a quick overview:
Sportsbook Apps in VA
When VA sportsbooks apps do start releasing, it’s more than likely that operators in neighboring states like WV will be among the first on the market. Most of these operators in neighboring states allow sports betting both on the apps and on the operator’s main website.
Usually, downloading and installing these apps follows a similar process. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how downloading and installing Virginia online sports betting apps will likely work:
- Navigate to your preferred sportsbook operator using your mobile device or computer’s web browser.
- Android users will have to look for a “Download for Android” button in order to download and install the Android Package File, or APK, necessary to install the sportsbook app. Google Play does not allow real-money gambling apps.
- iOS users will simply be able to navigate to the App Store or tap the Download for iOS button and download their sports betting apps of choice.
- Web browser users not on mobile will have to download and enable the GeoComply plugin in order to continue, as all sports betting apps are restricted to state borders. Users on mobile will simply have to enable location services on their app of choice to continue.
- Sign up with your preferred operator and make your first deposit to be able to play. Don’t forget to take advantage of welcome offers before you deposit– most operators offer incentives like free betting credit to new users.
Remember, all Virginia online sports betting will be restricted to everyone 21 and older who are physically within the state. You don’t have to be a resident of the state to sign up with the VA sports betting app and play for real money, but you do need to physically be located in VA.
How to Sign Up at Online Sportsbooks
Signing up at VA online sportsbooks will be comparable to signup in other states. As stated before, all users must be 21+ and physically located in the state dictated by the operator.
This means that every sign up process will include proving one’s identity, usually using the last four digits of your SSN or your driver’s license. You’ll also have to use the aforementioned GeoComply plugin or location services to prove that you’re in the state.
Once you’ve gotten all these details in place, simply hit sign up and enjoy! Check back with us for more info on VA sports betting!